Veterans Services

Veterans Benefits

Silver Certified School Logo

You may be eligible to receive financial assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) if you are currently serving in the military, have served in the past, or are a dependent of someone who has. Gogebic Community College (GCC) actively assists eligible students with applying their educational benefits towards a GCC degree.

GCC's VA Certifying Official does not make determinations of eligibility, nor is she able to discuss specific remuneration amounts with you. You should contact your VA representative with eligibility questions. If you're not sure who your VA representative is, you can obtain further information by calling 1 (888) GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

In order to initiate your Veteran's education benefits, you must apply for benefits using the VA online application portal at There is also a new tool available for military personnel and veterans to compare the value of their GI Bill benefits at schools across the country. You can access this tool by going to

The VA highly recommends that all benefit-eligible students file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and apply for financial aid.

Once you have completed the admission process and registered for courses, you are required to complete the Request for VA Certification form to request to use your benefits. You can obtain this form from the VA bulletin board outside of the Dean of Students office or from the VA Certifying Official in Room T108B. This form must be submitted to the Certifying Official before your enrollment will be certified.

In order for Gogebic Community College to evaluate and award any credits for your military experience, you must request your military transcript and have it sent to the Admissions Office. To request your military transcript, go to the Joint Services Transcript request form at

Joint Services Transcript covers all branches except Air Force. The Coast Guard is in the process of moving to the JST.

The GCC Dean of Students office will be happy to help answer any questions or refer you to the appropriate agency. The contact information is: (906) 307-1212.